Burlington Day School is an independent, non-profit, non-sectarian, co-educational school serving approximately 200 children ages three through eighth grade.
The school was founded by a group of parents who were genuinely interested in the quality of education for their children. In the early 1950s, the public schools in the Burlington area had become seriously overcrowded and some parents were concerned that such conditions would deprive students of the class time, teacher attention and the enrichment activities necessary for the kind of education they desired for their children. They began discussing the possibility of founding an independent school in Burlington, and an advisory board was formed to investigate the Calvert School curriculum.
In the fall of 1954, Burlington Day School began in a four-room building. The school moved to its current location in 1979, a campus of 20 acres and a facility of more than 37, 600 square feet.
Owing to its quality academic program, Burlington Day School completed a rigorous self-study and SAIS/SACS committee review and was awarded the coveted dual accreditation from the Southern Association of Independent Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in early 2008. BDS is the only school in Alamance County with this designation. BDS is also a member of the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools. Faculty and staff participate in educational forums and seminars offered by these institutions so as to further the quality of instruction at our school.
The school does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid program, athletic and other school administered programs.